New Zealand Secondary Schools – Tennis Championship & Cup Events
Tennis New Zealand are pleased to again be running the New Zealand Secondary Schools Championship and Cup events for 2023. The New Zealand Secondary School Tennis Events are split into two different events which are the Championship and the Cup. Both events will be run on the 27th to the 30th of March.
The Championship event will be held in Christchurch is for the top tennis schools/teams in the country to compete against one another. The Championship event has a grading criterion (see below).
Whereas the Cup event which will be held in Hamilton is for aspiring tennis schools/teams and does not have a grading criterion.
Schools can enter teams into the following competitions categories, Boys, Girls and Mixed.
Schools composed with single-sex students are only eligible for single-sex events. Mixed teams may only be entered by schools that are co-educational from Year 9.
There is a maximum number of team entries within each of the Championship and Cup events, this means that there are 12 x team spots, per category (boys, girls, mixed).
- 27 – 30th March
- Wilding Tennis Park, 111 Woodham Road, Linwood,
Grade Criteria (as at close of entries)
- Boys Teams – 3 students must have a grade of S2-5
- Girls Teams – 3 students must have a grade of S2-5
- Mixed Teams – 3 students (at least 1 boy and 1 girl) must have a grade of S2-6
- Boys Teams – minimum 4, maximum 5 boy students
- Girls Teams – minimum 4, maximum 5 girl students
- Mixed Teams – minimum 2 boy and 2 girl students, maximum 3 boy and 3 girl students NOTE: When a School has two or more teams in either the Championships or Cup, the reserve student can be nominated for multiple teams, but is eligible only to compete in one team
- 27 – 30th March
- Lugton Park Tennis, 30 Old Farm Road, Hamilton East,
- Boys Teams – minimum 2, maximum 3 boy students
- Girls Teams – minimum 2, maximum 3 girl students
- Mixed Teams – minimum 1 boy and 1 girl students, maximum 2 boy and 2 girl students
Team Entry Process
Schools must complete the online entry form and make the entry fee payment, opening Monday 6th February and will close Sunday 19th February.
To assist with selection, student MatchHub Rankings can be found on the link below.
Entry Form Link:
Cost Per Team
Championship - $385 per team Cup - $280 per team
Schedule of Rounds
(Pending draw size)
Rounds will be played as follows:
Day 1 – Round 1 plus Round 2 Singles
Day 2 – Round 2 Doubles plus Round 3
Day 3 – All Semi-Finals (Round 4) plus 3rd-4th and Play-Off Singles (Round 5)
Day 4 – Championship Finals (Round 5) plus 3rd-4th and Play-Off Doubles (Round 5)
Schools will be solely responsible for:
- Supply of a Team Manager (one per team)
- Travel arrangements
- Accommodation arrangements
- Food arrangements
- All associated expenses regarding the event
Each Team shall provide to Tennis New Zealand at the Managers Meeting, a team list of all students in ranked order on the provided form. This order will remain for the duration of the competition.
All players, coaches, parents, and spectators will be bound by the TNZ Code of Behaviour, and the Tennis Participant Protection Policy.
Tournament & Events Manager Tennis NZ | Te Tēnehi o Aotearoa
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 0211950857