Tennis NZ Updates
Tennis NZ is monitoring all available news sources regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. As the situation changes daily we are making decisions regarding appropriate measures for tennis and will post updates on this page.
UPDATE: 28 AUGUST 2020
We have created a set of FAQs as a result of questions from coaches and club reps that have been received between May and August 2020. If you have a question that has not been answered, and that you can’t find guidance on please email firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATE: 25 AUGUST 2020
We’ve updated the Tennis Activity During Covid-19 Alert Level Guidelines to reflect the guidance for gatherings/groups of 10 as well as for 100. Please scroll down after the Level 2 chart to see how any revisions apply directly to tennis.
A Covid-19 safety plan must be in place if a club decides to open. The template includes coaching practices which are not allowed under Level 3 or 4. This template is based on Work Safe, MOH and Government guidelines, which may assist in a club’s decision making whether to open.
UPDATE: 24 AUGUST 2020
The announcement this afternoon means we have a bit of work to do around re-publishing the various Level 2 requirements for Auckland and the rest of NZ. We’ll ensure there is clarification for clubs, coaches and venues around gathering sizes and help everyone with refreshing memories of what the rules are for gatherings of 10 vs 100. We haven’t had any confirmation of tennis coaching at Level 3 yet, but will update everyone accordingly when we do.
Tū Manawa Active Aotearoa
This exciting fund opened at 10am this morning. The fund is for community-based programmes and projects helping children and young people get active and funds programme or service delivery costs. This fund exists as a re-imagined KiwiSport fund, based on feedback gathered from the KiwiSport review held last year. All details, eligibility overview, and info on how to apply is HERE.
Community Resilience Fund – Round 2
Open til 4th September 2020. Round 2 of this funding is open to a wider range of organisations and for larger amounts of money. Organisations who applied to Round 1 CAN apply again to this new round. Organisiations need to be an incorporated society, registered charity or charitable trust. The fund provides financial support to play, active recreation or sport organisations who are experiencing financial hardship in the period 1 July to 30 September 2020, as a result of Covid-19. All the details can be found HERE.
UPDATE: 14 AUGUST 2020
Auckland region moved to Alert Level 3 at 12 noon on Wednesday 12 August. Cabinet will review this decision on Friday 21 August. The rest of New Zealand will remain at Alert Level 2. NZ Government restrictions can be viewed HERE.
What these restrictions mean for tennis in NZ:
- Tennis is permitted at Level 2 but there are restrictions in place.
- Playing tennis within your bubble is permitted under Level 3.
- Unfortunately coaching not permitted at Level 3, unless the coach and player are already within the same bubble.
- There is no obligation for a club or centre to open if it is not practical to do so.
- For more details about Alert Level recommendations for tennis, please review the Tennis Activity During Covid-19 Alert Level Guidelines
- Enjoy Your Game but PLAY SAFE. If people don’t follow our guidelines clubs maybe forced to close their courts.
- Clubs choosing to open must be confident and comfortable that they can follow the health and safety measures recommended by the Government
- A Covid-19 safety plan must be in place if a club decides to open. The template includes coaching practices which are not allowed under Level 3 or 4. This template is based on Work Safe, MOH and Government guidelines, which may assist in a club’s decision making whether to open.
Club & Coach Resources
- We recommend you use the Ministry of Health NZ Covid Tracer QR code poster. Use R911288 for the LocationBIC code in the template spreadsheet.
- Downloadable posters:
- 2020 14U Kiwi Indoor Junior Championships - postponed
- Love Tennis Club Buzz Nights - to be confirmed - we are working through scenarios of moving the Buzz Nights to Zoom but our event team will be in touch with regions/associations/clubs regarding any changes - please direct any questions to email@example.com
- Tennis NZ High Performance Tour -we are currently evaluating whether or not some of the meetings later this month will be going ahead. Please check back here or on Facebook for any updates. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Junior Development Coaching Course - postponed - please direct any questions to email@example.com